Sunday, January 29, 2012

Arizona

We just got back from an amazing trip to Arizona. Nick's mom and dad bought all of us tickets for Christmas. They travel to Arizona every winter for three months, something to look forward to when we retire. The weather was perfect. It wasn't hot but we knew that it wouldn't be since we were going in January. It was still way better than Minnesota. It was great to see where Dean and Mary travel too and what they do while they are there. We got to go swimming, mini-golfing and did lots of walks. Nick was able to golf with his dad a couple times too. I think the kids enjoyed the daily golf cart rides too!

We went to the most amazing zoo one day. It was called the Wildlife Zoo of Phoenix. It was fantastic!! The animals were so close we could reach out and touch them, even the jaguars. We of course reserved the right to touch anything unless allowed. We didn't want to come out with less appendages. We fed the giraffes, well Mary fed the giraffes and we all watched. The tortoises gave us our health lesson for the day and we learned that sting ray are soft and slimy. I was so amazed at everything we saw. I have to admit at first I was like...YIPPEEE another zoo :(. We walked in and there were a ton of birds to look at. I was not impressed, they just aren't my thing. We walked around and looked at all of them...uh and ah. Then came the monkeys. There were a ton of monkeys and who doesn't love a monkey that shows off. The kids were giggling and that is when the day turned around for me. I love the giggles and excitement. The further in the zoo we got the more fascinating the animals got. Who knew there was a snake head turtle or a alligator turtle. We learned a lot and saw a lot as well. I was so impressed with Rhinoceros. I have never scene one in person before. It was fantastic! I think that if you are ever in Phoenix you must go to this zoo. The zebra walked right up to you as if to say...'cheese please take my picture.' The sleeping jaguar overhead freaked me out a little bit. I was sure we were going to wake it up and it would be mad. Nope got out of there before that could happen. I did get some good pictures though.

We went hiking in the mountains one day too. We hiked out a mile...felt like forever with the kids. At the end of the hike was the most amazing sight. It was suppose to be a waterfall but was only a waterfall during the rainy season. The volunteer told me that he believes it is only a waterfall in late August. Otherwise it is a place to see what the water has done to the rocks. It was amazing and worth the hike.

We were sad to say goodbye to Nana and Papa but we will see them again in a few months. The kids did a great job on the airplane too. We strapped Charlie into his car seat on the plane, best decision ever. He couldn't go anywhere and that was perfect. We were able to get on first because of his car seat. People got on after us and we got lots of looks like..'great there are kids on here.' Well both flights the kids surprised everyone. They were so quiet but that was because we travel prepared. I rented movies off iTunes and loaded them on the iPad and the computer. It was perfect!

I am looking forward to our next trip. It gets easier and easier the older they get. The memories are priceless! Thanks Mom and Dad Otto for the awesome vacation.

No comments: