Saturday, May 28, 2011

Fracture :(

My poor Braeden has a green stick fracture in his arm. When I picked him up from school yesterday he said he fell off the slide and hurt his wrist. He said he went to jump off but slipped and didn't want to land on his head so he stuck his arm out. He went to the nurse and they put ice on it. This happened earlier in the morning. He seemed to be favoring it but I thought it was sprained and he would be okay. My dad looked at it and said we should check it again in the morning. We wrapped it, gave him some motrin and he seemed okay. This morning he said it really hurt and he couldn't move his arm. Poor kid! I brought him in to the clinic. He was so worried he was going to need stitches. I told him you only get stitches if you are bleeding. He said.."PHEW...I was so worried about it mom!" Then when the doctor said he would need an x-ray Braeden again had some anxiety. He remembered the x-ray he had last summer (cat scan to check for appendicitis which involved a few things that were not pleasant). I said to him no worries it was very easy to x-ray his arm and it wouldn't hurt at all. They nurses were great and I was so amazed at how fast x-rays are now developed. It was ready in a few seconds and we were back upstairs for the doctor to take a look. Wow...I remember when I had x-rays and we would have to bring the films upstairs. I love digital! The doctor checked and it was a green stick fracture. He splint it and told us to follow up with an Orthopedist this week because he will probably need a cast. The Radiologist will read the x-rays and make sure the growth plate was not affected. Poor kid! He is not able to swim, bike, play basketball, baseball, golf or ride his bike! He got new golf clubs for his birthday and is signed up for lessons this summer. He is signed up for baseball this summer and has already been practicing. Their first scrimmage is Wednesday :(. He was also suppose to go to basketball camp the middle of June but now he can't go. I feel so bad for him!! He seems pretty bummed out as he should be.

No comments: