Friday, June 5, 2009

Life changes quickly!!

It has been a very long week. We had a great weekend last weekend. It was beautiful out and we got a lot done. Saturday night we went over to our friends house for a BBQ. The kids had a blast and so did Nick and I. Sunday was gorgeous. We went to the pool and spent the day poolside. It was a little windy but it was hot out so it was perfect. Things started to go bad Sunday afternoon. I noticed Sunday morning that I was having trouble seeing out of my right eye. I thought I just needed new contacts so I tried that in the morning. It didn't really help but I associated it with being out in the bright sun all morning. At the pool I started to really pay attention to it and noticed that I had a blind spot in the lower left corner of my right eye. I decided I would go to the eye doctor first thing Monday morning and get it checked out. It really started to scare me and bother me. When I shut my left eye I couldn't see much out of my right eye at all. I ended up going to the emergency room. The kids were sleeping so Nick stayed with them. Alli met me at the ER so I would have someone to talk to. I really just thought it would be a retina tear and they would be able to fix it. I knew it was serious when I got to the ER and the Ophthalmologist was there to see me within a half hour of me arriving. I thought I would have to wait in the ER for hours. This is where everything became very scary very fast. The Dr. looked at my eye and said it was a retina detachment. He said I would have to go to the cities to have it fixed and that I would need surgery. He started to explain the procedure and all I heard was that they would deflate my eye. At that point I stopped listening and started to panic. Wow...I am 29 years old and this isn't suppose to happen to me. That is all I kept thinking. I was so glad Alli was there with me. We found out that I would have to wait until the morning to see the specialist in the cities. Nick, Mary (Nick's mom), and I made the journey to the cities at 5am on Monday morning. It was a very long stressful day for everyone. We found out that I would have surgery Monday afternoon and that we had to head to the hospital right away. They did not want me to do anything besides sit at the hospital and wait. We arrived at the hospital at 11am and waited until 2:45pm when I finally got called back for surgery. My dad was on his way up and I only missed him by a few minutes. I was scared out of my mind. All I knew was they were cutting into my eye and that freaked me out. The doctors and nurses were great but it still didn't make me feel any better. I was awake for the procedure which was weird and gross all at the same time. I could see the doctor moving instruments around in my eye. YUCK!! I said something and complained about it a lot. Next thing I knew I was waking up and they were wheeling me to my room. As soon as I got to my room the pulled me out of bed and made me sit with my head down the rest of the night. It was awful. Nothing like getting out of surgery and being able to lay around. No way...I was to keep my head face down for 3 full days starting right away. I did have a face down chair that I was able to sit in for most of the evening. That helped some but I still wasn't that comfortable. I am able to lay on my left side but I have to keep my face down so I stare at the bed or floor all day long. Nick and I came home Tuesday afternoon and I was able to rest some. My sisters, parents and in-laws have been wonderful and so helpful. Tuesday night/Wednesday morning I woke up with a terrible headache over my right eye. I was so sick and miserable. I had to go back to the specialist who thankfully came to Mankato that day. The specialists only come once a month and Wednesday just happened to be their day in town. I was so fortunate. I ended up having to take some more medicine. The pressure in my eye was really high and causing the headache and nausea. I am now on 3 different eye drops and pain pills to help with all the pain. Today, Friday, I am able to start looking up again. It is nice to be able to look at my kids and see who I am talking to. I still have to keep my head down 4 times a day for an hour each time for the next 4 days. I am hopeful that each day will get better! I still can't see much out of my eye. I can see light but that is all. The doctor said it would take at least 2 weeks before I could start to see out of my eye. I am not able to wear contacts for 3-4 months. My left eye needs to have laser surgery to correct the retina holes it has. We are hopeful the doctor will wait to do that eye until I can see out of my right eye. I was told that in 2-5 years I may have to have cataract surgery on my right eye as well. We have a feeling this is going to be a lifelong change for me. I am trying to stay positive but it is difficult at times. Please keep saying some prayers that this is all I will have to endure.

No comments: