Sunday, March 29, 2009

Poor little boy....

Charlie has had a low grade fever since Wednesday. We rotated motrin and tylenol to help keep the fever away and him not so crabby. Friday I called the clinic to see if he needed to get checked out. The nurse thought it was just teeth and he should be fine. Friday afternoon the green boogers showed up and I knew it was more than teeth. The poor kid went downhill from there. By Friday night he started wheezing and coughing pretty hard. He slept well and we just thought the wheezing was related to the cough. By Saturday night he was wheezing pretty bad. We thought about taking him to the ER Saturday night but he was sleeping so peacefully. I didn't sleep good at all Saturday night. I was up checking on him constantly. When he woke up we knew it was more than just a cold. He was really struggling to breathe. Of course Urgent Care didn't open until noon. Charlie and I stayed home until we could go to the clinic. We got to the clinic at noon and there was already a long line. Most the people there were young kids. Charlie got in right away and they checked his saturations. He was at 96% so that was good. Then the doctor came him. He checked his ears and he had an ear infection in both ears. Charlie got a breathing treatment and then he sent him down for a chest x-ray and the RSV swob. The RSV swob wasn't so bad. He did really well and sat still. Then we headed over for the x-ray. Man...they sure didn't warn me what was about to happen. They stuck him in a device to make him hold still and keep his arms up. Boy did he hate that. After his tests we went back up to wait...and wait...and wait. An hour and a half later the doctor came in. Charlie has Pneumonia and a double ear infection. He did not have RSV so that was good news. We were sent home with a nebulizer and antibiotics. We are to check is breaths/minute and make sure they don't exceed 60. I am also suppose to call Charlie's primary physician in the morning. His breaths/minute are at 52 right now. We are hopeful that after a good nights sleep he will be better in the morning. Poor little boy. I gave him a bath this afternoon because he loves his baths. He was having so much fun in the tub. He tried to stand up slipped and hit his mouth on the side of the tub. He his front tooth and started bleeding. The poor kid has been through the ringer today! I am hoping for a good nights sleep!

No comments: