Monday, October 8, 2012

Times Have Changed

Last week some interesting conversations were had with our 4th grader. I remember as a 4th grader, who had just moved back to Minnesota from Baltimore, I had heard my first swear words. It was such a different thing and I asked my mom about it. The things Braeden has brought to our attention are not as simple as a swear word. Boy..that would've been nice. Who knew that he would have to deal with such complicating issues as a 4th grader. Shouldn't he be worried about video games, friends and activities? This being a parent thing sure has its challenges. I just wish kids could be kids and we could shelter them from these complicated issues or conversations. Our goal as parents are to keep the lines of communication open. I don't want my kids to fear us no matter what. I hope they learn that choices sometimes have consequences they won't like but its better for us to know about things then to hide them. Does it ever get easier or better? Do you ever stop worrying?

No comments: