Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Eye Update....

Today was a stressful day for me! A few weeks ago I got new glasses. When I got them I realized that my contacts were no longer up to prescription. I was told that my prescriptions would change for a while and that was okay. My eye needs to heal and as it heals the prescription will either get worse or better. I was upset that I couldn't see very well out of my contacts. I made an appointment with the Ophthalmologist in town and he was able to see me right away this morning. He checked my eyes and said that I am now developing a cataract in my eye. When I was in 3 weeks ago he could not see any signs of cataract but now he can. This means surgery to correct it. I was so bummed. I thought I would have at least 2 years before this happened. Now we are looking at surgery in a few months!! It is so discouraging to constantly have bad news. I could really use some GOOD KARMA!!

This afternoon I had another eye appointment in Minneapolis with the Retina specialist. My right eye's retina is healing well and looks really good. I have flashes in that eye and the doctor said that it is normal. I have some fluid around my retina that is pulling at it and causing the flashes. He said some flashes are normal but I still need to be aware of any changes and let him know right away. He then did laser surgery to correct the retina in the left eye. I think I asked every tech in the office if it was going to hurt. They reassured me that it doesn't hurt and that you just can't see for 10 minutes afterwards. They gave me two tylenol and two motrin...and that was all they would give me. I did ask for stronger things like something for the anxiety but they just laughed at me as if I was joking. No way...I was serious! My blood pressure was at 120/78 and I always run 90/70 or at the very highest 104/70. The doctor came in and I asked if it hurt and he said yes. That it is a very bright light and it doesn't feel good. He said at first it would be fine and then as he continues it would be very uncomfortable. GREAT...but at least he was honest with me. I was trying to be tough! TRYING! I wiggled my toes a lot and tried to just pray that it would end. He said he could stop if I needed him to but then he would have to start again. I just had him keep going so it would end faster. It was painful...very painful! He shined a very bright light in my eye and then shot it with laser beams several times for 10 minutes! He uses a pokey thing (nice technical term) to push on my eye to get to the spots it needs to. It feels like he is poking my eye out! He also uses this to look at my retina so I was use to that somewhat! My sister was able to sit in the room with me and it was great to have the support. I was glad when it was over!

My doctor and I talked about the cataract and he wants me to wait. I have to let my retinas heal some more before he will agree to it. I go back in a month and will ask him again at that time.

I am exhausted and my eyes are really tired. I am ready for this eye crap to be behind us. I am very discouraged and depressed. I really need something to go right soon! For now I am just going to go to bed and enjoy a good nights sleep! Tomorrow is a new day and I can see right now. Cloudy vision is still vision!

1 comment:

Randa said...

Praying for you friend! You'll get through it and it'll be great! I think it's good advice to wait for the retina to heal first too....cause you know I'm a knowledgeable dr and all....but still, think that's a good idea! Love you and miss you!! Wish I was there to help you!!!